Ana Tiscornia was born in 1951 in Montevideo, Uruguay. From 1971 to 1977, Ana Tiscornia studied architecture at the Universidad de la República in Montevideo.
From 1977 to 1981, Tiscornia studied visual arts at the Guillermo Fernandez School of Visual Arts and from 1980 to 1981, printmaking at the Club de Grabado de Montevideo. From 1980 to 1984, Tiscornia studied semiotics with Professors Jorge Medina Vidal and Fernando Andatch in Montevideo.
Tiscornias solo exhibitions include the Galeria El Patio in Bremen, Germany; the Cabildo de Montevideo, Museo Histórico, Montevideo (1996); and the ICI, Instituto de Cultura Iberoamericano, Buenos Aires (1997). Her group exhibitions include the 20th Anniversary: Artist Space, New York (1994); The Power of Words and Signs, Index Gallery, Osaka, Japan (1997); “Crossing Borders,” Contemporary Art by Latin American Women, Castle Gallery, College of New Rochelle, New York (1997); Remembering Times Past, APEX Gallery, New York (1998); and Personal Permanent Records, Contemporary Latin American Photography, Center for Photography at Woodstock, New York (1999).
Ana Tiscornia has been living in New York since 1991.